Wallops Rocket Launch -- SAW IT!

From: skywayinc--- via Seesat-l <seesat-l_at_satobs.org>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 01:10:27 +0000 (UTC)
At long last . . . the sounding rocket from Wallops Island, Virginia was finally launched at 8:44 p.m.

Because of the delay, the skies darkened enough to see the rocket from here in Putnam Valley, NY.

Approximately 60 seconds after viewing the liftoff from Wallops on livestream TV, my wife, Renate and I caught the rocket rising above the tree line to our south. We could see the orange-yellow, cone-shaped plume roughly 15 degrees above the horizon, climbing nearly straight up.  Our view of it was short-lived, lasting about 15 seconds before moving into a cloud.

Initial reports indicate that the rocket was visible from North Carolina, Ottawa (Ontario) and Pittsburgh. No view of the chemical tracers, which were to be released about 10 minutes after the launch.

-- joe rao