RE: Unidentified Jupiter Transit

From: Ted Molczan (molczan@rogers.com)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 08:55:32 EDT

    Brian Webb wrote:

    > The object then crossed Jupiter's disk from south to north in
    > about 2 seconds. When the object was in front of the planet,
    > it resembled a dark cylinder or sliver about 6 to 7" long.
    > The object's long axis was oriented along the direction of travel.

    Jupiter's disk currently is about 0.0103 deg in diameter. A satellite in a very
    high orbit could have taken 2 s to transit, but it would have been too distant
    to resolve.

    I ran the observation against a very comprehensive compilation of elements,
    using both Findsat and IDSat, and found no matches.

    Ted Molczan