Important STARLINK observation from Carefree, Arizona USA

From: PAUL MALEY via Seesat-l <seesat-l_at_satobs.org>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2020 03:05:09 +0000 (UTC)
Moments ago I observed the P piece from the January 6 STARLINK launch at 02:45:49UT Feb 1 followed at 02:48:23 by the U piece.  The latter is the one that is reported to have a dark coating. Both objects are now in their operational orbits 427 x 429km. The P spacecraft appeared at about magnitude 4.0. The U object appeared at 6.5.  Both were observed at the same phase angle on an ascending pass. This was not the most favorable phase but the fact that two objects are so different in their reflection characteristics would suggest the dark coating is working.  Elevations were 58 deg and 53 deg respective above azimuth 274 at a range of between 500 and 533km prior to shadow entry.  It is suggested that additional confirming observations be made and if the weather holds on, I will make such an attempt tomorrow.
Paul

Paul D. Maley
https://pauldmaley.com
email: pdmaley_at_yahoo.com